Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Creative writing experiment

   I would wake up everyone morning and see a stranger in the mirror. But that wasn't the nightmare - the terror was when I realized it wasn't a stranger looking back, it was me. And I would scowl at what was growing on my chest, how my hips were rounding. Before, there hadn't been such things as girls or boys, everyone played with everyone. My two brothers were my two best friends, we wore the same clothes, ate the same food, we even had the same hair cut after my mom cut my hair short when I was eight because I refused to brush it! It was a bigger deal to her than it ever was to me. For years she kept saying "I would love to braid your hair" and "You used to have such beautiful blonde ringlets", so I grew my hair back. It wasn't until this that I knew. I want a dick. 
   I mean, who wouldn't? White men are at the top of the food chain, they rule the world and have they brains wired so that they don't even see how they are hurting everyone else in the process. Why wouldn't I want a piece of that? Of course, it isn't that simple to just go ahead and turn into one. Like, there's no fairy godmothers to wave their magic wand, not really.
  So, I kept growing my hair and wearing clothes traditionally condemned as 'girly'. To... To be loved? Or accepted? Even when I tried to be this person, this character, they would compare me to others, others who were better than me. I wasn't enough. But I was never going to be a man either. As long as I had this other persona following me. Even if I changed my name, the way dressed, the way I talked and walked, I would always remain a girl to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment